Sustainable Gastronomy Day: advantages of consuming seasonal fruitConsuming seasonal fruits has benefits for your health, the environment and sustainable development. Know them in this infographics.
18 June is Sustainable Gastronomy Day. In this celebration, the United Nations is trying to promote eating habits more respectful of the environment and local traditions, from production to consumption of food. The culinary heritage of each place is the expression of the cultural and natural diversity of the planet.
In any healthy diet, fruit is an indispensable component. The second of the Sustainable Development Goals -zero hunger- recognizes the importance of extending a good diet to all corners of the globe, and fruit plays an essential role in this. While it is possible to find almost any type of fruit at almost any time of year in many geographical areas of the planet, it is always preferable to consume seasonal fruit.
4 advantages of consuming seasonal fruit
There are several reasons why it is better to include seasonal fruit in our diet:
- It contributes to the sustainability of the food system because it reduces the energy consumption and generates less carbon dioxide emissions since it is not necessary to transport it from distant cultivation areas.
- It respects the natural cycle of production as it is more ecological and respectful with the environment.
- It also has a better taste because it was not grown in a greenhouse, where fruits lose some of their flavor.
- By buying seasonal fruit from your area you are collaborating with local trade and therefore generating wealth in your nearest environment.
Reasons why we consume fruit
According to FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations), "some of the world’s most widespread and debilitating nutritional disorders, including birth defects, mental and physical retardation, weakened immune systems, blindness, and even death, are caused by diets lacking in vitamins and minerals. Low fruit and vegetable intake is a major contributing factor to such micronutrient deficiencies.”
There are multiple benefits of eating fruit in abundance (the recommended amount is between two and three pieces a day):
- They provide a great variety of minerals and vitamins, especially vitamin C.
- They represent a quick source of hydration.
- They positively influence the functioning of the digestive system.
- Due to their diuretic nature, they facilitate the purification of the organism.
- They lack fat, except avocados and coconuts, which provide beneficial oils.
- They contain natural antioxidants.
In order to be informed about when we should consume each kind of fruit (optimal consumption moment) we have created this infographic: